Sunday 15 July 2012

Tiramisu



My friends, they are like, my tester mouse. You know the ones that are used in the lab? But so far, they get to test eat yummy cakes. Not fair also. One day I should do a really bad one, like putting salt instead of sugar and get my camera ready!


I've never liked tiramisu before, because I dont really like coffee, until I know Starbucks and Coffee Bean (the fancy expensive stuff hehe), then it all begun. But weird, I would never buy myself a slice of tiramisu, maybe because of the bad 1st time experience.


Oh well, its another birthday celebration for 2 of the boys (gosh, i just realize that i actually have a lot of people's birthday I can experiments on..weee!), and one of them happened to mentioned his love for tiramisu, and the search for the perfect recipe begins.

Birthday boys with their cake.
My test mousies. See told ya. Happy faces eating cake. But I shayang these dweebs to the bits!

And it is not that hard to make too! Like stir stir stir, layer layer, dip dip, done! The recipe that I tried had the yolks to be cooked and chilled, but most other recipe doesnt require for it to be cooked. Its a matter of preference in the end. I've yet to try a cake version of tiramisu, this is the triffle version, the one that used lady fingers biscuits. And it is yummehhh! I had a lick of some spills, and I just had to swipe my fingers to the remaining leftovers from the bowl, this one is shoooo guuuud.
See, you only need these. I got my whipped cream zapping up in the mixer there.

This recipe is from Allrecipe, with slight adaptation (I excluded the Rum heehee) but I halved it as my bowl was only 8inch x 8inch.Ifyou have a big/deep bowl, by all means use the full measurement ya!

6 egg yolks
3/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound (about 500 grams) mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
2 packages ladyfinger cookies
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

  1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended. Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
  2. In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form.
  3. In a seperate bowl, whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.
  4. Pour the coffee into a small bowl. Dip ladyfingers in the coffee and arrange in a bottom of a 7x11inch dish
  5. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, until set. Its best to refrigerate it overnight. You can also shave some semi sweet chocolate and sprinkle sprinkle!
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment