Before I begin, i want to aplogize because iknowihavebeenprocrastinatingandnotupdatethisblogaspromised.
Heehee, ok here's the story behind the ever lovely Strawberry Summer Cake.
An ex-colleague came across the recipe online, the blog has been popular, with awesome recipes from savoury to sweets, its called Smitten Kitchen.
Originally, the recipe comes from the ever lovely Martha, however, smitten kitchen has adapted the recipe having few optional variation and a lil less sugar in it (Martha's cakes can be a lil bit sweet sometimes).
This sweet lil thing is so easy to make, it will take like less than 30mins to prepare and around 45 mins in the oven.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
450 grams strawberries, hulled and halved
How to do it:
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Butter a 9-inch pie pan (what I used). (Note: Smitten Kitchen told that this doesnt work in a 9 inch pie pan as it will overflow. I was stubborn, and still used it. It turned out well, an did not overflow at all. just purrrfect. However, if you are not stubborn enough like me, please use a 9 inch deep pie pan/normal cake pan or springform pan). You may also try with a 10inch pan, but it will come out a bit flatter than the picture.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl.
- In a larger bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk and vanilla until just combined. Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.
- Pour into prepared pie plate. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer. You may overlap them to have more of that yummy strawberries in the cake! Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
- Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 160°C and bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 45 minutes to 60 minutes.
- Let cool in pan on a rack. DONE!
- You can serve this with some dairy whipped cream on the side, and of so yummeehhhh..
Have fun trying it out!
p/s: CuppyCatCake is selling this beauty in a 9inch pie pan with a tub of whipped cream!